About The Company
Sweeny, Wingate & Barrow, P.A. was started in 1993 when the named partners combined their litigation and transactional experience to create a firm committed to excellence, integrity, and service. Since that time, the Firm has grown to approximately 15 lawyers practicing civil defense litigation, and probate and estate planning law. Our firm is structured to meet the litigation and consulting needs of individuals, businesses, and insurance companies throughout South Carolina. Our practice is statewide and we regularly practice in each of the State's 46 counties and all federal courts. We work hard to build long standing relationships with those we represent.
Our Columbia office is seeking one or more Associates to assist members of the firm with litigation matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Advising and representing clients before tribunals on litigation matters
• Holding meetings with clients in order to discuss details of a case
• Conducting research and analysis of legal problems
• Analyzing the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents
• Interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations for clients
• Writing and oral advocacy on behalf of clients
• Overseeing paralegal, law clerk, and legal assistant work
• Taking depositions
• Sitting as first, second, or third chair on bench or jury trials
• Performing other duties as assigned MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
• Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA accredited institution
• Member of the South Carolina Bar
• Member of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
• Certificate of Completion of Rule 403 of the South Carolina Appellate Court Rules (SCACR)
• Strong negotiation, analytical, writing, and oral advocacy skills
• Proficiency in legal research
• Strong computer skills and proficiency in MS Office applications
• Ability to work as a “self-starter” and handle litigation matters from pleadings to appeal
• Ability to be flexible, to adapt, and act quickly when urgent matters require it
• High ethical standards consistent with Rules of Professional Conduct
• Ability to maintain confidentiality consistent with Rules of Professional Conduct
How To Apply
To apply and/or obtain additional information, contact Bonnie Moffat at email@example.com. Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.